Subject: Changing from MSDOS to NTFS
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/07/2002 08:20:16
My dual boot machine recently changed from WinME to Win2000.  The disklabel
has the following line in it:

f: 54726525             63              MSDOS                   #
(Cyl.  0*-54292*)

When I used the command "disklabel -e -r wd0" under NetBSD-1.5.2 to change
the MSDOS to NTFS I was asked if I wanted to erase the entire disk.  Of
course I replied no.  When I checked the disklabel with "disklabel -r wd0"
I saw that the label was unchanged.

What is the proper procedure for changing the disklabel?  I know that
writing NTFS file systems is not entirely safe at this point; however, I
only need to be able to read.  I boot to NetBSD at night to perform a
backup of selected files from my local drive to the corporate network.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.