Subject: Re: page fault on boot
To: kent <kent@goatnospamhill.org>
From: David Vyskocil <david.vyskocil@wanadoo.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/06/2002 05:22:58
Hello Kent and BSD'ers from all sides !

- What's the model / stepping / revision of the incrimined CPU ? (un-dust
it, in case of !)

- Did you try to poke into BIOS for fail-safe settings, slow down RAM, I/O,
en/disable CPU caching, ECC, AGP aperture, etc...for debugging ?

- Sometimes, a low CMOS backup battery could make troubles.... I had the
case under NetBSD / VAX where the toy clock resetted 'hazardously', made a
kernel panic and kicked me into debbuger...

- Recently I've installed XP (a disk suffer of it...) and worked whell until
I flashed a newer BIOS release XP incompatible...$-/

- Did you ever try to boot M$-98 under the same configuration ? ( I've
noticed that it crash easily on boot if something bad with CPU / RAM ;-])

david.vyskocil@wanadoo.fr (please, don't blame my poor English...)