Subject: Re: page fault on boot
To: kent <kent@goathill.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.ORG>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/04/2002 20:35:31
On 4 Mar 2002, kent wrote:

> It had proper cooling, wasn't overclocked, ran flawlessly for over
> two years.
>
> However, I did manage to borrow another computer to check it with.
> It appears the mmu has gone bad on the cpu. It appears to work
> great until/unless it needs the mmu. I tried another cpu in this
> mb and all ran fine; put this cpu in another mb and it always
> pagefaulted at the same locations in the boot sequence.

	You might want to look at pkgsrc/sysutils/cpuburn (just added
	so may take a day or so to show up in anoncvs etc).

	To quote the DESCR

The cpuburn programs are designed to load x86 CPUs as heavily as
possible for the purposes of system testing.  They have been
optimized for different processors.  FPU and ALU instructions are
coded an assembler endless loop.  They do not test every instruction.
The goal has been to maximize heat production from the CPU, putting
stress on the CPU itself, cooling system, motherboard (especially
voltage regulators) and power supply (likely cause of burnBX/MMX
errors).

	We had a bunch of boxes at velocet which seemed to be behaving a
	little oddly, one of the Velocet guys tested 'burnMMX P' on them
	and it crapped out in well under a minute :)

--
		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --