Subject: Re: Suggestions for chip set on new PC
To: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
From: Sean Finney <seanius@seanius.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/04/2002 10:55:02
On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 09:06:36AM -0500, Steven Grunza wrote:
> I'm looking into building a AMD Duron based PC as a crash-n-burn /
> development box.  I would like to use an AMD Duron for $/perf reasons.  I
> need AGP on the motherboard, integrated audio and LAN would be nice since
> I'll be adding three or more PCI cards.
>
> Anyone have suggestions on what motherboard manufacturer to look at, any to
> avoid?  Anyone have a preferred motherboard or chip set?  Thanks for any
> suggestions.  Since this is a development / crash-n-burn box I don't want
> to spend too much but it needs to be fast (599+ Mhz Duron should be enough)

dude, duron 900's are only $34 on pricewatch!  Wow.. maybe I shoud throw
together a new computer too...

I don't know too much about motherboards, (except that I want a Tyan Tiger
MP board when have enough money to buy two Athlon 1900 MP's), but there
are a couple good review sites for such, like www.motherboards.org .

sorry wasn't of more help :)

--sean