Subject: Re: page fault on boot
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: kent <kent@goatnospamhill.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/28/2002 04:05:57
On 25 Feb 2002 05:50:00 -0600, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 01:23:49AM +0000, kent wrote:
>> >=20
>> > This could be hardware problem, most likely a bad RAM.
>>=20
>> I had pretty much determined it was a hardware error, but I ran
>> memtest86 through a couple of complete cycles and it found nothing.
>
> Memory tests don't find anything but the most basic problems...
>
> if you want to find out about memory, run "make clean; make" for a=20
> kernel.

1) I swapped out ram and it didn't make any difference. On boot,
it pagefaults at the same location.

2) problems compiling a kernel wouldn't necesarily provide much
evidence here about what exactly was wrong. It certainly might
exercise the system, but it exercises almost everything at almost
the same time, without providing much of any cluse as to what caused
the failure. When the system simply freezes, there's not much to
go on...

I suspect there is either a mb problem or a cpu problem, but I have
no spare cpus or mb's right now to test with.