Subject: Re: compiled kernel fails miserably
To: Nate Bohlmann <njb@elfwerks.com>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/26/2002 02:01:23
You're using syssrc.tgz from /pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5.2/source/sets/* I
imagine?

You may have used

/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-release-1-5/tar_files/src
or
/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/src

...these are different development branches.

...include the output of 'dmesg' and 'uname -a'.  Sounds like userland and
kernel misalignments.

Better explanation @
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/misc/#kernel-upgrade

-lava

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Nate Bohlmann wrote:

> Hi folks,
>   I pawned through the recent posts but I couldn't find anything
> really relating to my problem.  I installed 1.5.2 this past weekend
> and wanted to re-compile the kernel to reduce it's size.  I did the
> normal thing of editting the config file and compiling and everything
> seemed to work as it has in the past.  However, when I boot this
> kernel, everything breaks.  I get core dumps from things such as
> chmod, wscons breaks, and my root partition ends up getting fairly
> trashed (a serious fsck is required).  Does anyone have a clue as to
> what I'm doing wrong?  Is the syssrc.tgz in the 1.5 portion of the ftp
> site not correct?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated..
>
> --
> Nathan Bohlmann                                        njb@elfwerks.com
> Elfwerks Consulting                        http://www.elfwerks.com/~njb

--Brian

 ----

"GNU/Linux: About as stable as the elements at the bottom of the periodic
table"