Subject: Re: i386 installation problems
To: Roine Thunberg <artee@garderoben.ath.cx>
From: Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/24/2002 14:33:04
* Roine Thunberg <artee@garderoben.ath.cx> [020224 13:40] wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
>
> > Secondly our XF 3 and XF 4.2 both recognize the NVidea Geforce 2 MX card
> > and even gets a display up but there is a serious problem that makes it
> > competely useless ... for some reason Xterms work fine but if I open a menu
> > in TWM it shows the outline of the menu but only paints the contents of the
> > menu when i move my mouse over it and it gets highlighted. The same for
> > running Opera ... Some parts are shown fine but others just keep blank!
> > making it useless too. I really dont have a clue as to what this could be
> > esp. since it occures in XF3 and XF4.2 .... even running xrefresh gives
> > only the outlines and no contents. I tried it with a kernel without shared
> > memory and a kernel with shared memory with no effect.
> >

> Tried altering color depth? 16bit, 24bit, 32bit?
> I haven't tried it yet (but I have a Nvidia Gefore 2 MX400) and I will
> remember some kind of problem like yours.
>
> I will soon run NetBSD on this box too.

I'm guessing it might have had to do with the driver being buggy
at certain color depths as well.  I have a Geforce2 running fine
under Xfree86 (but on FreeBSD).  One other option might be to turn
off acceleration if all else fails, it's something like "Options "No Accel""
in the config file.

best of luck,
--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]