Subject: Re: how to get kernel sources for i386 20020104-1.5ZA
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Marshall Rose <mrose@dbc.mtview.ca.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/24/2002 11:38:18
> The snapshots are best used to *track* current. If you want a one-shot
> deal, you should stick to the formal releases (in my opinion). If you
> ever convince the group to mandate that all snapshots include source,
> you're going to see a lot fewer snapshots, so please, let it go.

err, okay.

but all i wanted was a kernel that would actually work on my thinkpad a20p, which isn't exactly an esoteric design, and came out 2 years ago. i started with 1.5.2, which didn't recognize wi0, then went to .ZA, which worked fine with wi0 but didn't work with X, then went to xfree86 4.2.0 which crashed every couple of hours, then went to 4.1.0 from the netbsd site which crashed within 2 minutes, then went to 4.1.0 from xfree86.org which only crashes every couple of days. so i figure "fine, it's stable enough, now get the kernel source so you can debug the audio problems, and that's how we got here.

on the plus side, at each step, there have been helpful folks giving me pointers and answering questions.

but, it's like the proverbial string that once pulled undoes the entire sweater. the lesson i've taken away from this is that the next time i get a laptop, if i'm going to run netbsd, i should ask what laptop to buy. somehow, i don't think this is the netbsd mantra...i'm sure however, someone in redmond is laughing hysterically as they read this...

/mtr