Subject: Re: New IDE controller.
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: Chris Lloyd <strawberry@toth.org.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/24/2002 12:53:49
On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 11:45:04PM -0600, Richard Rauch wrote:
>  [...]
> > > The number of seeks should be closer to 1000 or 1500 per second, I
> > > believe.
> > >

> > > Again, it *flies* in single-user mode.

It would probably be a good idea to go into single-user mode and run, by hand,
each of the rc.d scripts in the order that rcorder puts them in. After each
one runs you should check disk performance. This would give you a better idea
of which part of the multiuser boot process is slowing everything down.

I assume that during the time when you're getting dead slow disk access there's
nothing else using the disk? (Sorry I missed the beginning of the thread)
Something like syslogd might have gone insane and is writing constant logs,
or somesuch.

 - Chris

--
strawberry@toth.org.uk