Subject: Re: New IDE controller.
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/20/2002 22:58:36
On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Richard Rauch wrote:

# (b) Are there known problems with the ``Triones/Highpoint HPT366/370 IDE
# Controller''?  Bear in mind that the NetBSD bootloader seemed to die with
# it, too, before actually loading the kernel.  Bad hardware?  Or could
# updating the bootloader and booting a -current kernel fix the problems?
# (Also bear in mind that the bootloader *worked* when loaded from CD from
# the old controller, in a 1.5.2 bootable CD; the hard disk is using the
# NetBSD boot-selector, really, so it may not be using the same software to
# boot the kernel.)

Is this on a card or onboard?

If it's on a card, you might try reseating the card, or picking a different
slot.  You may also wish to make sure you're not getting conflicting
IRQ/DRQ/DMA (do those things use DMA?) with something else in your
system.

For what it's worth, I've a HighPoint HPT366 IDE controller built on
to my MoBo, and it's been working like a charm since day one.  Data
transfer rates on the one drive that supports UDMA4 are very good,
and even the IDE/33 drive that's attached to the 66 bus gives me
better performance than it would on a standard IDE channel.

# (The boot-selector fails as soon as I hit F4 for NetBSD; it doesn't give
# me the 5-second countdown...)

I'm having all sorts of problems with the mbr-bootselect code; it doesn't
want to boot any non *nix system (I'm actually trying to do something
with win2k at the moment, so I donno WHAT's up with that...)

# However, while I still have the controller, is there anything that I can
# do to further test it, or any information that someone would like?

Check:  slot connectivity, conflicts, cables and the like.  See if
your BIOS can actually use it as a boot device.

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: Unix With Balls.