Subject: How to fix a dodgy IDE disk.
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel Brown <dbrown@inktomi.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/20/2002 13:40:15
Hi,

My firewall/router (1.5, i386) has started throwing up bad block errors
during nightly fscks:

uncorrectable data error reading fsbn ... etc.

blocks by writing something to them. So - 2 questions:

- Is there a utility that will write (anything - zeros would be fine - the
data is already lost) to a specific block on a disk?

- Or is there a utility that will help me jump from block to inode, so I can
use 'fsdb' to do the same?

- Or (OK - 3 questions) is there better received wisdom on what to do next?
(Other than buy a new HD.)

Thanks!

Dan.