Subject: Re: SDL performance stunningly bad?
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/18/2002 22:22:12
Peter Seebach wrote:
> (NetBSD 1.5ZA, on a laptop with a SavageIX chipset.)
>
> So, I was told that there are neat OpenGL light cycle race games.  I tried
> two of them:  armagetron and gltron.  Both require SDL.  Both are *AMAZINGLY*,
> *STUNNINGLY*, slow.  (Think 2-4 fps on a 1Ghz computer.)  By contrast, glclock
> is silky-smooth, claiming to do 50+fps.
>
> Am I barking up the wrong tree?  Is it something other than this "SDL" thing
> that's making my computer suddenly suck?

Don't know whether it is or isn't related, but I recall recent
PRs aboud SDL package not using DGA on NetBSD.

Here it is: pkg/15580. It seems the PR  has already been handled,
perhaps try to update pkgsrc and re-build your SDL package?

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org> http://www.NetBSD.org/Ports/i386/ps2.html
-=  Those who would give up liberty for a little temporary safety deserve  =-