Subject: Re: Multi proc support
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/08/2002 07:03:25
* Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com> [020207 16:43]:
> of course I'm sure that when the time comes the analogous NetBSD
> implementation will be just as good, run on half a dozen different
> multiprocessor platforms, and have elegant readable code to boot.  :)

And by then people will have left for OSes that have it now.  Next week
we are installing a new shell machine and my partner is putting FreeBSD
on it because it has multi-proc, threading and more packages than NetBSD.
Since he has to support it I can't just veto it and it is getting boring
telling him that stuff is coming and that it will be better when it does
get here.  At least if we had something working in -current we could look
at it and run a snapshot if it tests stable enough.  As it is I have no
choice but to let him select the OS and once we change, changing back will
be a really hard sell.

I know that we value quality above popularity but more people using the
platform does lead to more people working on it.  I really think we need
to get something into -current as soon as possible.