Subject: Re: Multi proc support
To: James Webster <james3838@tsi-net.com>
From: Paul de Weerd <paul@mail.me.maar.nu>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/06/2002 01:11:20
On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 08:31:41AM -0800, James Webster wrote:
| I've been using NetBSD for a number of years as a hobbiest, but I
| just was asked to setup a *nix system at work to do some bench
| marking.  The hardware I have is a compaq DL380 with 4 procs and a
| SmartStart Raid controller.  I found the Raid controller in the
| hardware compatibility list, but I couldnt find any info on multi-proc
| support in NetBSD.

They're working on it. For more info see tech-smp@netbsd.org
mailinglist archives.

| I was asked to run it on Linux at first, but I was unable to locate
| drivers for the Raid controllers, so I'm hoping I can run this on more
| familiar territory.

Allthough OT, I can't help but give you some advice from experience :
I've been in a similar situation. I've put up Linux on a Compaq SMART
RAID controller. There's kernel support for these beasts. Build a
custom kernel and boot it. It's hell to get it there but it works.

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd