Subject: Re: Sony Mem Stick/Floppy Disk Adapter Mountable?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/05/2002 13:55:31
On Mon, 04 Feb 2002, Jeff wrote:
> I'm trying to mount a Sony memory stick floppy disk adaptor which has a
> 64MB mem stick in it (adaptor is labeled "MSAC-FD2M"). I really didn't think
> this would work right off - which it didn't - but I'm wondering if its even
> a possibility on 1.5.2-i386/Generic. I tried doing a 'dumpfs' on it with the
> following results:
> ---
> # dumpfs /dev/fd0a | head -n 25
> fd0a: hard error reading fsbn 19 (st0 44<abnrml,top_head> st1 1<no_am> st2 0
> cyl 0 head 1 sec 2)
> dumpfs: /dev/fd0a: Input/output error

dumpfs really should have been called something like dump_ffs, since
it's only for FFS filesystems.  The memory stick probably uses a DOS FAT
filesystem; try "mount -t msdos /dev/fd0a /mnt".

You could also try reading the device with dd and eyeballing a hexdump
of the data (dd if=/dev/rfd0a bs=512 | hexdump -C | less), or checking
whether "file" can guess the format (file -s /dev/rfd0a).

--apb (Alan Barrett)