Subject: Re: laptop install
To: Todd <tlewis01@nycap.rr.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/04/2002 23:15:59
On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 01:25:53AM -0500, Todd wrote:
> Hello,
> 	I posted a couple weeks back about some problems I was having installing
> 1.5.2 on a Zenith Z-Lite 425L and a ThinkPad 755Cs. The Zenith, I'm happy to
> say, is running well on 1.5.2.
> 	The ThinkPad however is a different story. INSTALL_LAPTOP fails after
> successfully negotiating the ftp transfer. INSTALL_SMALL does not recognize
> any network devices. INSTALL_TINY also fails after successfully negotiating
> ftp. I found a post that suggested adding some options to the kernel.conf for
> a 550 TP and thought it might be worth a shot. I installed 1.5.2 on a Dell
> 200MMX tower I had and rebuilt the kernel based on the How-To, adding just
> those options.
> 	Next, I tried to get the new kernel on an install disk. I found a section in
> the How-To about replacing the kernel on a boot image. I followed the
> instructions to the letter, but they don't seem to work for me.
>
>    vnconfig -c vnd0 boot-tiny.fs
>            -executes properly
>
>    mount /dev/vnd0a /mnt
>            -mount_ffs: /dev/vnd0a on/mnt: incorrect super block

The boot image can't be mounted because it doesn't contain a filesystem.
This is some kind of tar file.

To build a boot floppy image run 'make' in src/distrib/i386/floppies
after building the INSTALL kernels in src/sys/arch/i386/compile.
You can change the config files before building them.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>