Subject: Re: SASL support
To: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/01/2002 01:51:35
On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Dave Huang wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
> > A bit OT, but it's not polite to relay, or 'smart host', or 'fast forward'
> > mail through your ISP.  It's a bit redunant unless you're paying for ETRN
> > service.  Just do your own deliveries.
>
> ? Isn't that what Windows and Mac users do? Some ISPs even require you
> to go through their mail server--for better abuse monitoring, I suppose.
> They block TCP port 25 traffic except to/from their servers.

I meant 'dedicated' customers I suppose.  It's one thing to have your mail
client to use an outbound SMTP host, that's what ISPs expect, it's another
to have your local MTA for your entire office/organization forward.  In
that instance, it's better to do your own deliveries.

-lava

> I do think it's good to cut out the middleman if possible though.
> --
> Name: Dave Huang         |  Mammal, mammal / their names are called /
> INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
> FurryMUCK: Dahan         |  dolphin and dog / koala bear and hog -- TMBG
> Dahan: Hani G Y+C 26 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++

--Brian

 ----

"GNU/Linux: About as stable as the elements at the bottom of the periodic
table"