Subject: Re: How to chmod of recusive directory with a sticky bit
To: iware <dkwok@iware.com.au>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/31/2002 21:01:04
On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, iware wrote:

# I have a bundle of directories and sub-directories which I want other group
# member to share. How could I set the directories and sub-directory with
# sticky bit but leaving the files in 0644 mode instead.

	find dir -type d | xargs chmod 1775

# And go a bit further how to set umask so that users who are going create new
# directory under these diectories observe the same rules to directory and
# file ie. directory is 1775 and file is 644. Any sugguestion is welcome.

You can't enforce that.  There is no provision for having a sticky bit
set on directory creation.

<something I wish the various UNIces could standardise on (which nobody
currently implements) is how to set a bit so that nobody can create
subdirectories in the current directory, but they could create and
delete files to their heart's content.  I thought set-uid on a
directory would be useful for that purpose.>

# David Kwok

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: I Wanna Be Sedated!