Subject: Re: Shuttle SV24 firewire success with -current
To: Love <lha@stacken.kth.se>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/27/2002 01:38:26
Love <lha@stacken.kth.se> writes:

> Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com> writes:

> > > The
> > > IDE.
> > >
> > > isn't "firewire drive" IDE drive with FW-IDE bridge?
> >
> > Apparently so. I had no idea. D'oh!
>
> I don't thing so, the IDE enclosures I've seen talks SBP2, which is scsi2
> over memory mmaped bus (wirefire).

Right, but that doesn't disagree with what he said - it really is an
IDE drive that's being "converted" into a firewire drive by some sort
of controller, not a new type of drive that plugs directly into the
firewire bus. Kind of like the old ST-506 drives that plugged into a
SCSI card which then plugged into the SCSI interface on the computer.