Subject: Re: scroll wheel on i386?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/25/2002 10:22:08
In message <20020125084235.A26192@zhwin.ch>, Christoph Kaegi writes:
>On 2002.01.24 21:08, Peter Seebach wrote:
>> Hmm.  Actually, I think I may have one.  So, what do people think?  Would
>> a psm.c that tests for each of a few types of mice, and tries to pick the
>> best protocol, be a good thing?

>Yes, it would like it. I also have a Logitech Trackman Marble with
>ScrollWhell which didn't work...
>As far as i can remember, I didn't have an USB Adapter though.

Well, one thing that I got from a very helpful guy at Synaptics:  On a laptop,
it is quite likely that the BIOS will carefully filter any complicated
protocols from *both* pointing devices, to ensure compatability, if it has a
built-in device.  On mine, going into the BIOS and telling it to use "auto"
for the PS/2 port caused it to suddenly start working.

My trackman wheel (possibly one generation newer than yours, hard to say)
works fine with pmsi as long as the built-in trackpad is off.

-s