Subject: Re: scroll wheel on i386?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/24/2002 14:46:38
In message <200201242035.VAA0000014614@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de>, Matthias Dro
chner writes:
>If one looks at the Xfree86 sources, there are 4 or so protocol variations
>for scroll wheel mice. None of them explicitely refers to a "logitech
>trackman wheel", but one might fit. It would take a bit of testing
>to find out which.

Oh, boy.

>It's not that easy unfortunately - it is kind of disappointing for me myself,
>but it seems that the "intellimouse" protocol was just the most widely used
>one up to now, and this didn't keep vendors from developing own modifications
>- for little gain, as it appears to me.

Hmm.  What bugs me is, whatever they're doing, it's consistent enough that a
$20 USB mouse/keyboard adapter can process it without any trouble, so you'd
*think* we could find out what it is.

Hmm.  Come to think of it, I'll send email to the people who make the USB/PS2
converter, and ask them what they do.  Given that I have never had a scroll
wheel mouse *not* work with that device, there must be something you can send
to mice to say "just act like an intellimouse, okay?" or something like that.

-s