Subject: Re: VIA chipsets
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/18/2002 14:58:57
On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 12:47:03PM -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
> In message <Pine.NEB.4.33.0201181045070.3107-100000@rivendell.starwolf.com>, Gr
> eywolf writes:
> >Pardon my ignorance, but is VIA the only chipset that supports the
> >AMD processors?
>
> Sort of.  I don't think there's any AMD boards without VIA parts.

That's not right.  There are pure-AMD boards (the multiprocessor ones,
because the VIA southbridge doesn't work in multiprocessor configurations),
as well as quite a few motherboards using the SiS 735 and ALi MaGiK
chipsets.

I have had much worse experience with ALi chipsets than VIA ones; the SiS
chipset seems just fine but doesn't support ECC.

VIA's problems seem to have mostly stemmed from bad northbridge (memory
controller) implementations.  The best bet right now is probably one of
the boards like the Abit KG7, with an AMD northbridge and VIA southbridge,
or a multiprocessor board that's straight-up AMD.

Avoid the Asus board with the AMD/VIA combination, though; they cut
corners on the motherboard design and consequently ECC doesn't work.