Subject: Re: VIA C3 CPU & NetBSD?, VIA PL133 chipset & NetBSD?, Quiet PCs
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
From: None <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/18/2002 05:37:02

> > i had exactly same problem with that board. after adding another 128MB RAM
> > (having total 384 now) it does work ONLY at 66Mhz stable.
>
> Hmm. This machine has worked great at 100/450 from Oct. of 1998 up
> until now. Although now that you mention it, a few months ago I tried
> putting in a 2nd DIMM to bring RAM up to 256MB, and got lots of
> segfaults during kernel builds, so I removed it. I have an identical
> system across the room from it (purchased at the same time) that is
> still going fine, no problems, but I've never had more than a single
> (256MB) DIMM installed in it.

i have now 3 the same chips (even bought same time, there was 2 plugged,
3-rd where somewhere else before). it was 733/133 now it's 366/66.
as it's enough power for now it's not a problem. but at 133 or 100 it
crashed after max 1 week.

> > X-terminal from some 486 and VLB/PCI GFX card (which can be more than
> > one).
>
> BTW, my actual desktop machine has to be something with more
> horsepower than a 486, as my work requires me to have a Windows
> machine around for running MS development tools, and Windows just
> isn't conveniently remoted (VNC server on a 450Mhz Windows machine

hmm.. you didn't mention windoze ;)

> BTW2, what's the deal with you and 486's - do you have a bunch you're
> trying to sell or something? ;-) (Seriously, I agree with you that the

have about 30 motherboards varying from 486/25 ISA or VLB to 486/80, about
100 megz of 9 bit RAM, about 200 MB of 32/36 bit RAM, about 20 40MB disks
(for routers), bunch of VLB and ISA gfx cards (and must say ISA Tseng
ET4000 is cool).

and i'm not trying to sell as it's not worth of selling