Subject: Re: i810e and NetBSD
To: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/17/2002 21:55:58
On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 12:34:05PM -0500, Andy Ball wrote:

> Hello!
>
> There's been quite a bit of discussion here lately about
> hardware to run NetBSD on.  Some of it I'd seen before and
> some I hadn't.  In either case, I found it interesting to
> read about the hardware from a NetBSD perspective, since
> that has become my preferred system software.
>
> A lot of people have been asking me lately to build machines
> for them, so I've started looking at components.  One of the
> mainboards that looks promising is FIC FW37 mATX, Socket370.
> I've never built a machine with the Intel 810e chipset
> before, and would welcome people's input as to it's
> suitability.

I have a i810 at home (I'm not sure if it's a 810 or 810e), and I'm really
happy with it. I can get more than 100MB/s out of the disks (5 IDE disks,
each connected to its own PCIIDE controller :). The display works for me,
with 3.3.6 and without the aperture driver, but this is really dependant on
the BIOS. I suspect it'll work for you too, because of this "4Mb SDRAM".
I also got it running on other 810 motherboard where the aperture driver is
required, though :)
Audio isn't very good, it can only do 48Khz.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>