Subject: Re: VIA C3 CPU & NetBSD?, VIA PL133 chipset & NetBSD?, Quiet PCs
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
From: None <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/17/2002 20:28:33

> I'm also interested in experience with the VIA C3, as well as the VIA
> PL133 chipset (I remember hearing bad things about VIA chipsets here,

generally VIA chipsets are crap, made as fast possible, having lot of
hardware errors.

> but don'trecall exactly which, and it seems that the archives at
> mail-index.netbsd.org are no longer searchable :-().
>
> After 3 1/2 years, it seems my Abit BH6 motherboard is fading fast (I
> recently ended three weeks of unexplained kernel crashes and corrupted
> files by setting the FSB down to 66Mhz (from 100); this was after
> swapping out RAM and CPU with known-good components). This, along with

i had exactly same problem with that board. after adding another 128MB RAM
(having total 384 now) it does work ONLY at 66Mhz stable.

> all the talk about the Shuttle SV24 and my frustration with loud fans,
> is leading me toward putting together something *really* quiet. (The
> SV24 isn't quiet as delivered, but can be modified to be quiet, and
> it's small and cute ;-)
>
> My thought for a quiet system is:

another idea. put your noisy computer without GFX at another room and make
X-terminal from some 486 and VLB/PCI GFX card (which can be more than
one).