Subject: Re: 10/100 PCMCIA NIC
To: Jordan , <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/15/2002 09:21:16
Unfortunately, my impression is that ethernet cards are prone to changing
their chipsets, so I'm not sure if a brand/product recommendation will do
you much good.  However, I'm using a GigaFast Ethernet 10/100 (``16-bit
PCMCIA'') card in a laptop.

It does have a small problem in that on the powerup, it comes up as ne2
(i.e., using the ne driver; I don't know why not ne0).  It works fine that
way.  After the first warmboot, it comes up as ne1 and does not work
there.  It continues to alternate on warmboots between ne1/ne2.  (I've
also had trouble getting it to work after putting the computer into
standby mode.  It always works when it's ne2; never when it's ne1.)

I don't have it turned on at the moment (and haven't for a few weeks), so
I may have misremembered the ne1/ne2 numbers.  I don't warmboot it that
often, so it basically works and I'm basically happy with it.

Also, if it matters to you: The card has a thin edge connector into which
you plug an adaptor.  The adaptor is a little dongle on a short cable,
with the actual ethernet jack.  On the plus side, this leaves room for
installing a second PCMCIA card.  On the negative side, it seems like an
exposed/fragile arrangment (I haven't yet broken it off, but it does
engender a little extra care).  I gather that this is the "old style" of
doing PCMCIA ethernet.

I don't remember how much the card cost.