Subject: Re: booting wrong partition (1.4.1)
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/14/2002 20:35:56
Greywolf wrote:

> Is there, then, a way for the bootloader to print out the list of
> disks it's able to access on request, and then we just use 'hd' and
> completely throw out the sd/wd stuff, since it's superfluseless?
>
> ...or is that along the same lines of complexity?

'current' no longer lets you specify 'wd' or 'sd', only 'hd'.

The only 'list' would be 'hd0', 'hd1',..... (max hd7 - I hope) since
there is nothing to indicate which disk is which (without some work) it
is moderately pointless.

I suppose the code could hunt for the netbsd label on each disk it finds
and display the volume name from it.  The recent kernels seem to require
a netbsd label before they will boot (comments in the source indicate
this might not always have been true).

The kernel is going to access all the disks the bios knows about - so
they have to be spun up anyway.

	David