Subject: Re: booting wrong partition (1.4.1)
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/14/2002 18:26:01
Greywolf wrote:

> Is there any way that we could force 'sd' or 'wd' to apply to the proper
> kind and order of disk?

Not really.  The only hope would be to look for the netbsd disklabel on
each disk where we had previously stashed away whether is was ide or
scsi.  This really isn't the sort of thing the boot code wants to get
involved in.

The initial boot sequence is all done with BIOS call and hence the BIOS
disk identification rules.   Only when we have a hernel loaded to we
have disk drivers available - which need a different mapping.  One might
ask why we don't use the BIOS numbers throughout.....

The kernel code already goes though hoops backwards to identify the disk
that it was read from.  This is important because you may have disks
that the BIOS doesn't know about (eg some PCI raid cards).

	David