Subject: Re: booting wrong partition (1.4.1)
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/14/2002 13:50:18
Matthias Drochner wrote:

> Did you perhaps do an image copy to the new disk, so that
> the disklabels are identical?
> The boot disk is identified by comparing the disklabels
> with some data passed in by the bootloader, to avoid all
> these BIOS numbering problems mentioned in previous
> replies.
> If this is the problem, you should have got a message
> like "warning: double match for boot device (wd0, sd0)"
> during boot.
> A small change to the disklabel, eg in the "label"
> string, should help.

The code displays 'wd' or 'sd' depending on a value found in the netbsd
disklabel. 'boot wd0a:netbsd' and 'boot sd0a:netbsd' are equivalent
commands.

You definitely need to type wd1a (or sd1a) to load the kernel off the
other disk.  I think the comment "Use hd1a:netbsd to boot sd0 when wd0
is also installed\n" is somewhat misleading.

I presume that youe are actually always booting off disk 0 (which must
be the scsi one) then trying to request that it load netbsd off the ata
one.  If you load the mbr_bootsel code onto the scsi disk and type F6 at
it, it will load the mbr off disk1.
(alternatively, look at your bios options.  There MAY be an option to
boot disk 1, or reorder the disks.)

Maybe the COMPAT_OLDBOOT stuff should be depracated further.  Change
comment to one that says "use hd<n>a:ntbsd where n is bios disk number",
and stop the attempts to convert the bios disk number to 'wd' or 'sd'.
Maybe allow 'wd' or 'sd' to be typed, and include the convertion of
these in /sys/arch/i386/stand/lib/libexec.c to allow old kernels to be
loaded, but remove the convertion for 'hd'.

	David