Subject: Re: Compaq diagnostic partition Vs Bootselector
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/13/2002 00:11:31
Hello Garen,

  GLE> check on compaqs web-site to see if they have the
     > cmos setup in a downloadable form that you can place
     > on floppy disks.

I have a vague recollection that I made some configuration
diskettes for these machines, which may have been during my
Y2K chores.  That's probably how I created the diagnostic
partition, and I may have flashed the ROMs at the same time.

  GLE> I have a compaq proliant 1000 but the cmos setup was
     > not on the hdd.

With any luck, the CMOS setup program is in the ROM, and the
diagnostics lived on the partition. Perhaps I'm being overly
optimistic though. I'll check this tomorrow when I'm back in
the office.

  GLE> When I went to the compaq support site, I was able to
     > find all the info I needed, including mobo specs.

They have a page where you type in the serial number of your
machine, and it supposedly reports the configuration that
shipped.  It probably works well with their newer machines,
but oddly it described this ProLinea 4/33s as a ProLinea DT
425s.  I daresay they're very similar machines anyway.

It has an ET4000/W32 display adaptor built into the
mainboard, which seems to work okay with X.  I'll probably
have to take the lid off to figure out which RAMDAC it uses
though, I'd like to be able to demonstrate X in more than
256 colours.

- Andy Ball.