Subject: Re: ECS K7S5A motherboard with SiS 735 - ethernet
To: gduzan@acm.org, John Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/11/2002 20:30:40
--- Gary Duzan <gary@duzan.org> wrote:
>    There are still driver problems with the ethernet
> and the audio
> is unsupported. I understand the Linux SiS900
> drivers work ok with
> it, so I assume that the NetBSD driver is missing
> something. With
> some patches I can get pings through, but fancier
> stuff (e.g. NFS)
> doesn't work. Support for the audio is pretty much
> out until we
> get docs on it. I'm running both off PCI cards for
> now.
>    Otherwise, it seems reasonably solid. I haven't
> done any
> benchmarks, so I can't really comment on
> performance. I also haven't
> tested things like USB support, so that might be
> worth checking out
> first.

Help me out here...

I see that your board uses the "AC97 Audio Codec" as
per the website. I have the K7VZA which says it uses
the same thing, but it works (often poorly). I have
this "skipping" problem that's been reported by others
as well, but most of the time, it does just fine. So
the question is, does it work at all, or does it work
poorly?

I've been watching these discussions of
motherboards/chipsets closely because I'm probably
going to get a new one soon. So far it looks like the
AMD chipsets are the way to go, but the SiS is
supposed to be pretty good too... I see they even have
a new one based on the 745 chipset now...

Andy