Subject: Re: Atari diskettes
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/10/2002 17:41:26
--+r+clu82y77Ss1pj

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 09:40:59PM +0100, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> i'm asking about Atari just for example but for real it was long time ago
> i had to make new software for some company which had it's old written for
> Z80 amstrad with it's special diskettes which does not fit to anything and
> connecting it's drive to PC doesn't work.

If we really want to get fun, what about reading Apple Lisa Twiggy
disks? The drive had two sets of heads, opposite each other, and
two holes in the 5.25" disk shell. This was, theoretically, to make
disk reads faster. I'm not sure how close the hardware is to the IWM
in mac68k machines, which we also don't really know how to use.

It is entirely possible to (carefully!) remove a "modern" 5.25" disk
from its shell, cut the extra holes in the disk case, put the disk
back in, and use it in an Apple Lisa, so the media itself isn't a
problem.

Perhaps more a question for port-m[ac]68k, though.

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net

--+r+clu82y77Ss1pj