Subject: vmare 3.0?
To: NetBSD <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Steven Sartorius <ssartor@bellatlantic.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/05/2002 12:28:38
I know there's been some list traffic on this topic but nobody seems to have
answered the $64,000 question....
Has anyone successfully installed vmware 3.0?

I initially installed vmware from pkgsrc (both vmware and vmware-module) but
it's an older version (2.0.4) which I was unable to get a trial license for.
The vmware web site only seems to be supporting version 3.0 so I downloaded
a copy, got a trial license and installed by hand (binaries into /usr/bin;
library files into /usr/lib/vmware).  I changed vmware_prefix to /usr in
rc.conf and rebooted.  When I run vmware I get the following message:

Error:
Could not get vmmon module version: Bad address.
You have an incorrect version of the `vmmon' kernel module.
Try reinstalling VMware Workstation.

At this point I'm stumped.  Am I missing something obvious or does 3.0 not
work with NetBSD?  Alternatively, does anyone know how to get a trial
license for 2.0.4?  I just want to see if vmware can run Excel and Word well
enough to spring for a full copy.

thanks for any help.

Steve