Subject: Re: NetBSD /X11R6/network settings
To: -P.Chase <paypachase@collegeclub.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/04/2002 21:20:28
On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 10:56:03AM -0800, -P.Chase wrote:

> yes ,thank you.
> i finally figured it out by playing around with it a bit and after i saw that /dev/com1 wasnt an option. what the hec was i thinking i dont know. i thought i had seen com1 listed during the boot and figured it would be under /dev. anyway i have both systems up and running now with X functioning.
>
> Next Problem(s):

Please make shorter (75 max) lines

> I have two NICs in each box one 3com 10BaseT,xxx,10Base2 and one SMC EZethernet 10BaseT. I broke it up like that because I couldnt get the SMC cards to configure in order to load netbsd via ftp. I will get the dmesg out but the immediate problem is with the 3com cards one of which seems to reset when i reboot to a 10Base2 default. So question #1 would be how do I get the media type of 10BaseT  made permanent in the card that keeps reverting to 10Base2?

I think the default can only be set using the DOS tool on the driver floppy
provided with the adapter.
But you can have NetBSD switch to 10baseT at boot by adding
"media 10baseT" in /etc/ifconfig.ex0

> and question #2 is how do i set the dns service search order (what its called on windows) so I can get it working with the Internet connection (cable modem). I got it working as a dhcp client but i want the machines to have static IPs and they had host down error messages when i had them running as dhcp clients and assigned static IPs.

I don't really understand what you're trying to do here. I suspect you
did something wrong with your network setup.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>