Subject: Re: Compaq IPAQ IA-1
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/28/2001 13:23:28
On Tue, 25 Dec 2001, Peter Seebach wrote:

: >> 1.  You *MUST* turn off "USB Legacy Keyboard" in the BIOS.
: >
: >How does one get into the BIOS on the IA-1?  I read somewhere that
: >pressing the "compaq" key on the wireless keyboard during boot should
: >do it, but I can't get it to work - all I get is a "keyboard error"
: >message.
:
: Right - you have to have reset the CMOS first, by shorting the CMOS jumpers
: for at least 60 seconds.  I think you may have to plug the unit in once while
: the jumpers are shorted, *then* give it 60 seconds.
:
: Then, you still get the keyboard error message, but it should go into the
: BIOS and ask what language you want to use.

Is there a webpage somewhere that describes this?

I currently have an IA-1 disassembled on my bedroom floor, and the
CMOS-clear jumper has been set for many minutes.  I have plugged it in, and
got the keyboard error message (as well as the 30MB memory test and "System
Options Not Set").  However, after the memory test, the unit just reboots
and goes back to the MSN Companion.

It doesn't look like the unit even attempts to boot from CF; I put in both a
Lexar 16MB and a CompUSA 48MB (mfd by Superflash), both with a boot-big.fs
and a Jailbait Linux image, and it always ends up in MSN Companion.

Thoughts?

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/