Subject: Re: Recommendation on NetBSD desktop
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/27/2001 12:07:10
[ Gigabits over Internet2 on i386 "desktop" ]

>Well, here's the home page for it:
>http://www.internet2.edu/~shalunov/gigatcp/

hmmm....

that page says, amongst other things, that some Serverworks III boards
that claim to interleave memory (Tyan S2567) acually doesn't; but that
the SupeRmicro 370DLE and 370DE6 boards do.

LMbench (on freeBSD 4.x) says that the Tyan S2567 has asymptotic
memory bandwidth of almost exactly 256MB/sec. On a Dell Poweredge
500sc, I get memory-throughput numbers indistinguishable from the
Tyan.

A Dell 8100 (P4, RDRAM) has almost twice the asymptotic bandwidth; but
lmbench's unrolled loops are a significant win over FreeBSD's libc bcopy,
whereas the P-/// machines   show little-to-no win here.

Anyone (Plethora Internet?) got LMbench numbers for the Supermicro boards?

NB: I'm assuming LMbench memory throughput, for LMbench's unrolled
bcopy, don't differ significantly between NetBSD and FreeBSD.