Subject: Re: Serial console?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/26/2001 20:46:24
Hi,

On 26 Dec 2001 at 11:19, Jonathan Stone wrote:
> For space-challenged racks -- anything smaller than 4U-- I'd probably
> with an Intel server motherboard with ServerWorks, rather than
> pc-weasel. The Weasel is an easier solution, if there's space inside
> the server.

this depends on what you need. The pc-weasel is an ideal solution for
remote servers that are not easy to reach physically. What I need is
a replacement for the keyboard and monitor and KVM switches in the
server rack. If I understood that correct, the advantage of the pc-
weasel is the ability to hardwarereset a system, a requirement for
remote systems. To my experience if I need to listen to the system
beeps or check the post error codes I usually need physical access to
the system in question anyway, allthough it might be very useful to
know what went wrong before travelling to the system ;).

mike