Subject: Recommendation on NetBSD server
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Alex <xela@MIT.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/24/2001 20:15:22
Taking a tangent off the "Recommendation on NetBSD desktop"
thread:  What do people recommend these days for i386-based server
motherboards?  I in particular want to build 1U rackmount machines
with 2 100baseT ethernets and a true serial console, and I'd
rather not pay the name- brand penalty for using Intel hardware,
so would like to use Athlons.*

Best I can tell from a brief look around, there are three ways to
achieve that:

1:  tyan _appears_ to be making, in the Thunder K7, a dual-cpu
    athlon motherboards with dual-ethernet and built-in serial
    BIOS control, which presumably could be taken over by the OS
    at boot time as its serial console.  (I say "appears" beause a
    quick glance through the manual doesn't make it clear one way
    or the other that it actually *has* a serial console on the
    BIOS, as I've been old it does.  I suspect this is a matter
    of PC motherboard terminology not matching my expectations.)

2:  any number of Intel "serverworks" based boards if I punt my
    Athlon preference.

3:  A PCI weasel (www.pcweasel.com) and a dual-ethernet single-cpu
    Athlon motherboard.  Anyone know whether any such motherboards
    exist?

What have people been using to build headless servers lately?
What do you like or dislike about it?

---Alex

* I haven't been paying much attention to what's happening in
terms of the motherboard market with other CPU architectures.  If
someone's started shipping high-speed ATX form factor motherboards
for some sane architecture, priced such that I can buy a
motherboard and cpu equivalent to a 1G P3 on an i810 for under
$1k, I'd appreciate a pointer.