Subject: Re: Recommendation on NetBSD desktop
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/24/2001 10:24:47
In message <009e01c18c78$fdba6560$84469280@Y5F3Q8>, "Robert Schaefer" writes:
>Would you like to share that configuration?  I can't say as I currently
>*need* to saturate a gigibit segment, but it would be nice to know how...

Sure.  The original machines (sorry, but they are running FreeBSD) are done
on dual P3 1Ghz, running on a SuperMicro 370DE6, with a "mere" 512MB (2*256MB
DIMMs).  The ethernet card is a 3C985B-SX.  Local disk is a pair of U160
SCSI's.  They were built for Internet2.

The new ones are migrating to a P3TDE6-G, and will be using 1.2Ghz P3's.  The
observed limitation is that it's possible to peg the CPU.  (Annoyingly,
you can peg one CPU while the other is idle.  This may get fixed in a future
release; I know that BSD/OS will, in the forseeable future, fix a similar
limitation in how multiple CPU's are used.)

-s