Subject: Re: CD-R or CD-R/W
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Graham/Aniartia <netbsd.i386@genasis.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/22/2001 15:01:55
On Saturday 22 December 2001 13:58, you wrote:
> Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org> writes:
> > When you say "ISO-Filesystem DVD-ROMs", are they limited to CD-ROM
> > capacities (680Mb?), or is there something similar to ISO 9660 for
> > DVD-ROM discs?  Perhaps ISO 9660 itself scales to DVD?

As I understand it the ISO9660 fs can scale to any size, I seem to remember
doing something strange with an iso-9660/rock ridge image giving me a 14Gb
iso-9660/rock ridge ro partition on a HD.

> I think that the dvd media uses a format called UDF natively, with
> a compatibility support for iso-9660 also written on the disk.

I thought it was just the block size that was of a fixed size, 2304bytes with
128bytes 'padding' either side leaving 2048 bytes for the fs, as long as you
stay with that  blocksize you can use any FS you wish. I'm sure I made up a
BeOS install DVD that was bootable & had a BFS BeOS partition on it 'just for
fun', I just burnt the raw HD partition to the DVD. Sorry it's a little
laymans terms

Ani