Subject: routing over tun0 confusion
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Ernst du Toit <ernstdt@ihug.co.nz>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/22/2001 00:41:12
Hi

I'm trying to setup a VTUN session to my ISP and am having limited success,
maybe I'm just not getting it :)

Stock NetBSD-1.5.2/i386, vtun v1.5nb1 compiled from sourceforge, dunno what
the server is, probably some flavour of Linux. Anyway the tunnel gets up and
I can see via ethereal and netstat that packets travel over the UDP tunnel.

My problem comes in the routing - if I set a static route to a host on the
Net (my default being my ADSL router), I can see all traffic going over the
tunnel. The moment I set my default route to the other side of the tunnel IP
my CPU goes 100% and I get an error that the send buffer is full, this
corresponds with massive collisions for tun0 in netstat -ni. Restore the
default route to my ADSL router and the CPU usage returns to normal again.

This looks definately like routing since, while the tunnel is up, I can ping
from a host on the Net to the IP on my side of the tunnel and my ICP replies
goes out over my default route, as the routing rules dictates. Setting a
static route and the replies goes back over the tunnel as expected.

What's the trick with the default route?
What am I missing?

--et