Subject: Re: 160GB IDE Drives under NetBSD?
To: i386 <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <David.Laight@btinternet.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/21/2001 00:42:49
I don't expect they are present!
Last I read there wasn't a true 'standard', one manufacturer had
proposed an extension...

The actual change has a two entry fifo mon the disk that contains
the sector number.  Two writes (to the same address) are required to
set the sector number...  I recall the sector count also being
duplicated.

The driver changes wouldn't be too hard - but I've not looked at the
netbsd driver :-)

There are other solutions - but I don't think the drive manufacturers
considered them (sectors >512 bytes and ATAPI disks spring to mind...)

    David