Subject: NetBSD on a 386?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <jwbirdsa@picarefy.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/19/2001 00:54:11
   Has anybody noticed that (at least as of 1.5.1) NetBSD/i386 doesn't actually
work on a 386 anymore? I've tried it on several now, with varying hardware
and kernels, and I always get the same symptoms: it boots, but any attempt
to look at kernel data structures (e.g. ps, top) returns garbage,
frequently causing the program to coredump. One commonality is that none
of the 386es tested had a 387, whereas all of the systems that worked
(486 and higher) have a coprocessor onboard. But the kernels all had FP
emulation configured in, supposedly...

   I realize that probably hardly anybody cares about 386-based machines
anymore. I tried looking on the website and the mailing list archives but
didn't see anything about this problem. I wouldn't care either except that
I have a number of 386es and I'd rather not use something more powerful
when I have a job that a 386 can do.

   Has anybody noticed this? Am I just jinxed? If anybody could shed some
light on the situation, I'd really appreciate it.

   --James B.