Subject: Re: IA-1 "refurbished" units
To: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/16/2001 12:11:29
On Sun, 16 Dec 2001, Andrew Gillham wrote:
> Sounds like there wasn't, which is cool.  The fact that you can boot the
> IA-1 from CF is very nice, much better than the IOpener.  If you rebuild
> /bin/* and /sbin/* dynamically you can save quite a bit of space, as long
> as you have / and /usr on the same filesystem.

Ah, good idea... I'll try that out :)

> I have been able to get a basic Xserver, configured for a remote xfs,
> loaded in the 16MB of flash on my IOpener.  With an 80MB CF, I would
> think you could add fonts and a browser, provided you go through by
> hand and remove unneeded binaries.

I guess my problem is that I don't know what files are required for X...
currently, my /usr/X11R6 is 27931K, 9922K of which are fonts. I do
have GTK+ installed, but I think I deleted everything except libgdk.so*
and libgtk.so*. /usr/X11R6/lib/modules and /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 seem to be
where the bulk of the files are...
INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 26 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++