Subject: Re: IA-1 "refurbished" units
To: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/16/2001 11:58:03
In message <20011216100517.A29214@flash.vaultron.com>, Andrew Gillham writes:
>Well, I guess the question may have been:
>  "Is there any 'fine print' on the Compaq web page order system that
>   suggests, implies, or states that purchasing the IA-1 for $99 obligates
>   the buyer to subscribe to something like MSN at the mentioned rates?"

Ahh.  I haven't seen any; it looks like they're cheap because the $99 ones
are refurbished.

>Sounds like there wasn't, which is cool.  The fact that you can boot the
>IA-1 from CF is very nice, much better than the IOpener.  If you rebuild
>/bin/* and /sbin/* dynamically you can save quite a bit of space, as long
>as you have / and /usr on the same filesystem.

Right.  So, why isn't that the default?  :)  This is one of the areas where
BSD/OS is doing a very nice job.  On my 4.2 system:

1328    /bin
1591    /sbin
4622    /shlib

Compared to, on NetBSD:
9337    /sbin
4838    /bin

To be fair, there's probably a few more binaries in NetBSD's /sbin, but
on the other hand, the BSD/OS system has 300k of patch data files because
it's a fairly old system.

/shlib could probably be smaller, if it were *only* the libraries needed
by the root filesystem, but for consistency, it holds all of the statically
linked shared libraries on the system.

-s