Subject: Re: IA-1 "refurbished" units
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: None <collver@linuxfreemail.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/16/2001 05:06:25
On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 05:58:11PM -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
> >Do you have to register?
> Why would I have to register?  I'm not using MSN, and I'm not using their
> software.

I read that Netpliance's licensing made ISP subscription required.
http://fastolfe.net/misc/i-opener-faq.html#1.1
I thought, "The IA-1 sales page is vague, might Compaq have similar intent?"
Thanks to your answer, now I know that Compaq does not.

> >Or are you "evading" the monthly subscription fee?
> I see no evasion here.  Why on earth would I have to pay a monthly
> subscription fee for access to MSN's email service if I'm not using it?

If that was a term of some agreement you bound yourself to, then you
would have to.  Since that isn't the case, the IA-1 looks like a good
deal to me.  Thanks for the information!

Ben
--
If a sign says, "Stay Back," it doesn't mean "Keep Off the Grass," it
means, "If You Go Past Here You May Die." -- alt.culture.oregon FAQ