Subject: Random failure to boot?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/13/2001 15:59:30
So, my IPAQ IA-1 randomly fails to boot.  The symptom is that, half to 3/4ths
of the time, it stops during the twirly cursor phase - not always in the same
place, either.

The rest of the time, it comes up, and seems to be reasonably stable (except
that it sometimes has trouble with USB devices.

I had a Linux "jailbait" image for this system, and it worked just fine.
During boot, it made a number of comments about ACPI reserved memory spaces.
Do we do anything with those?  Do we care about them?  Should we care about
them?

The machine's memory map is almost certainly at least a bit odd - it steals
main memory for the video framebuffer, and I wouldn't be surprised if, say,
USB devices also got their own share of main memory, which the system
dutifully reports via ACPI.

-s