Subject: Audio on Compaq EVO D500
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Duncan McEwan <duncan@mcs.vuw.ac.nz>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/13/2001 17:04:34
We have a Compaq EVO D500 Pentium-IV with the Intel 845 chipset that we are
trying out and have been unable to get the audio to work.

This is with the GENERIC kernel from the snapshot currently on ftp.netbsd.org.

NetBSD 1.5Z (GENERIC) #0: Thu Dec  6 13:44:26 PST 2001
    chs@spathi2.chuq.com:/build/obj/build/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC

The relevent boot up lines are as follows:

auich0 at pci0 dev 31 function 5: i82801BA (ICH2) AC-97 Audio
auich0: interrupting at irq 11
auich0: unknown (0xffff5360) codec; headphone, Analog Devices Phat Stereo
audio0 at auich0: full duplex, mmap, independent

Xmms fails to play an mpeg3 file, and if I try something much simpler I get the
following...

	 cat welcome.au > /dev/audio
	 /dev/audio: Invalid argument.

Audioctl does return reasonable looking information, as does mixerctl, but
those programs open /dev/audioctl and /dev/mixer respectively so maybe this
isn't so surprising.

Is the problem a result of the "unknown (0xffff5360) codec" diagnostic
that we are getting during boot?  I've seen the table of known codec's in
"dev/ic/ac97.c", but from a (admitably quick) look through the code all an
entry in that table would do is cause a prettier identifier to be printed
at boot time.

Has anyone succeeded in getting the audio on this box to work...?

Thanks,

Duncan