Subject: Re: Install problem...
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
From: Jason Quigley <jasonq@mac.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/08/2001 04:49:56
I've just figured it out - thanks to Aaron pointing me in the right
direction.

This mobo has a raid controller built in. Now, the system at boot time,
boots from the onboard *normal* ide controller. The drive is wd0.

By the time the kernel loads, it's obvious that the raid controller is
actually pciide0 (I read the output of dmesg again and realised that cd0
was on pciide1 - can't see the wood for the trees!!) so I needed to
specify in the installation to use wd2 which was wd0 up until the kernel
loaded!!

A little confusing, and definitely a problem. Is there a way to map the
drives so that they're not going to move. If I disable the raid
controller, my disk becomes wd0 again, which will fail during boot-up. I
can see a situation making a reboot difficult with a bad disk on the
raid controller.

Thanks,
Jason.