Subject: Re: Partitioning...
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/06/2001 22:41:00
Hello Wojciech!

  WP> only partition from where you boot kernel need that. you can
    > boot kernel from dos partition (dosboot.com) when netbsd kernel
    > is booted whole disk is accessible and there is no limit

Thanks for the clarification!

Presumably there are also some limits imposed by the hardware, like
ATA's 137Gb limit.  I was rather hoping that people might start moving
towards SCSI (serial or parallel) as that limit drew near, but it
looks as though ATA's being extended to 48-bit addressing (144Pb).

Do you happen to know whether SCSI is limited to 32-bit addressing
(~2.2Tb assuming 512 byte blocks)?  Does NetBSD use 32 bits to address
blocks on a device?

Regards,
  - Andy Ball.